Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cougar Shame

Yes it's Saturday night and yes I've just spent the last hour and a half looking at Michael Cera-related things on the internet. To my credit, I'd like to point out that I was actually looking for one specific Michael Cera thing but then there were links to this and that and before I knew it I got swept up in the black hole of the interweb.

Whoops?

Anyways... What I originally wanted to show you was a post from my favourite internet website ever (after my own), the Best Week Ever blog. Well, it was my favourite website until they made me feel guilty for loving Mikey C.. Okay, so it's sorta true that he plays a lot of awkward, dorky characters. And it's really true that he has a lot of indie cred (I credit his amazing collection of viral videos skewering everything from American history to Lily Tomlin's I Heart Huckabees rant to Alexsey Vayner's video resume). And it's glaringly obvious that the ladies of all ages (ha) love him because of he is able to be self-conscious in an unassumingly confident way (oooh! a paradox!). But still. I think it is within my right to adore him as much as I do! And instead of totally tearing down my Cera-love foundations (cerandations?) it actually linked me to a couple of hilarious and as-yet-unseen-by-me videos and blogs, reaffirming Michael's #1 spot in my cougar swoon line up.

1. Michael Cera's Top 5 Favourite Albums



Okay, so I've heard of 2 of the albums and love only 1, and when I checked them all out on Itunes they all sorta sound the same - synth-y pop stuff - and were not totally my cup of tea. Regardless. 2 of the bands are from Montreal, which automatically makes him cool. Cougar swoon status? Retained.

2. The HuffPo write up about the SNL live episode during the writer's strike.

The story goes that Michael was supposed to host SNL but was unfortunately (on all accounts) cancelled off because of the Great Writer's Strike of '07. Unbeknownst to me (well, beknownst but only in passing and I forgot about it until tonight) the cast, with Michael hosting, put on a live version of the show featuring some all-time great sketches/impressions and some never-before-seen stuff that got cut from the live shows. Every single part of me is in love with this idea and is upset for not paying attention earlier and perhaps making the pilgrimage to NYC to even stand near the UCB theatre and bask in the glory of this Show of Epic Proportions. The write up made the pain slightly more bearable, however. It's very LOL-y - 'specially the part about Michael playing LeBron James. Ha!

Finally, and perhaps best of all:

3. Michael Doing Juan-the-Latin-Superstar Leg Kicks!


Oh lord.... You can tell you are truly a Michael Cera fan when you sit through 5 minutes of pointless dancing (and still come out the other side enjoying it). Fast forward to the 2 minute mark to see the leg kicks. Not to ruin it for you, but he doesn't fall like his predessor. I know, I know. I was disappointed too.

Well, there you have it. I probably could have summed up my last hour and a half with a simple sentence (something along the lines of "No one will ever convince me not to like Michael Cera, not anyone on the Internet, or Jesus, or Michael Cera himself."), but I think it was much funnier this way. I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did.

(And Michael Cera will, once he meets me and we fall in love!)

(Wait.)

(What?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mikey cera's gonna be on conan in a few minutes.

-jess